How big can an SNMP request (or reply) be?
The protocol definition specifies a "minimum maximum" packet size (484 bytes for UDP), which all systems must support, but does not attempt to define an upper bound for this maximum size. This is left to each individual implementation.
The UCD software used a fixed size buffer of 1472 bytes to hold the encoded packet, so all requests and responses had to fit within this. The Net-SNMP releases handle packet buffers rather differently, and are not subject to the same fixed restrictions.
- How do I add a MIB?
- How do I add a MIB to the tools?
- Why can't I see anything from the agent?
- Why doesn't the agent respond?
- I can see the system group, but nothing else. Why?
- Why can't I see values in the <ENTERPRISE> tree?
- The agent worked for a while, then stopped responding. Why?
- Requesting an object fails with "Unknown Object Identifier" Why?
- Why do I get "noSuchName" when asking for "sysUpTime" (or similar)?
- Why do I sometimes get "End of MIB" when walking a tree, and sometimes not?
- How do I use SNMPv3?
- Why can't I set any variables in the MIB?
- Variables seem to disappear when I try to set them. Why?
- Why can't I change sysLocation (or sysContact)?
- I get an error when trying to set a negative value - why?
- I get an error when trying to query a string-indexed table value - why?
- How should I specify string-index table values?
- How do I send traps and notifications?
- How do I receive traps and notifications?
- How do I receive SNNMPv1 traps?
- Why don't I receive incoming traps?
- My traphandler script doesn't work when run like this - why not?
- How can the agent receive traps and notifications?
- How big can an SNMP request (or reply) be?
- How can I monitor my systems (disk, memory, etc)?
- Applications complain about entries in your example 'snmp.conf' file. Why?
- OK, what should I put in snmp.conf?
- How do I specify IPv6 addresses in tools command line arguments?