Where can I find more information about network management?
There are a number of sites with network management information on the World Wide Web. Some of the most useful are
The SNMP Usenet newsgroup is now mostly defunct, but although the FAQ hasn't been updated for a while, it still contains a large amount of useful information relating to SNMP, including books, software, other sites, how to get an enterprise number, etc, etc. This is available from
or via any of the Web sites above.
- What is it?
- Where can I get it?
- What documentation is available?
- Are there binaries available?
- What's the difference between UCD-SNMP and Net-SNMP?
- What operating systems does it run on?
- What happens if mine isn't listed?
- Does it run on Windows?
- How do I find out about new releases?
- How can I find out what other people are doing?
- How do I submit a patch or bug report?
- Can I reuse the code in my commercial application?
- What's the difference between SNMPv1, SNMPv2 and SNMPv3?
What's the difference between SNMPv2 and SNMPv2c?
- Which versions of SNMP are supported in this package?
- Can I use SNMPv1 requests with an SNMPv2 MIB (or vice versa)?
- How can I monitor my system with SNMP?
- Where can I find more information about network management?
- What ports does SNMP use?
- Is Net-SNMP thread safe?